Fräulein



My steps were silent on carpet covered stairs. Without knocking I entered his room. He was sitting at a small desk, facing a wall, writing in darkness. He stood up, his eyes widening in surprise. Uninvited I sat on a chair in front of a dressing table, catching my reflection in a mirror. A long black dress I wore made my face look pale. We talked … or did we? … I can't remember.
»Fräulein …« he said.
How inappropriate … It appeared he did not know how to call me.
I left with the word Fräulein echoing in my mind as I descended the stairs. Right before I opened the door leading into cool evening air, I heard it again. He hurried after me. As I ran across a wet square, dusk was thickening. The evening smelled of rain and fallen leaves. Once in my room, I turned the light on and then almost immediately turned it off. I was watching him through lacy curtains. He ran to the square, calling me, shouting only one word. My name …

Včasih se mi zdi, da sanjam v angleščini, čeprav se besed in pogovorov po navadi ne spominjam. Sem in tja kakšna beseda ostane … nelogična in čudaška, tokrat celo nemška. Zaradi nje postanejo dogodki oprijemljivi, na meji resničnega. 

Komentarji

Priljubljene objave iz tega spletnega dnevnika

Ne daj se, dušo

Vincent van Gogh, Med žitom in nebom

What’s In A Name 2016